I'm a data-driven, design-minded web engineer in New York City seeking challenging, cutting-edge work in the web industry. I'm interested in all sorts of things like music, data journalism, hacker spaces, slam poetry and robotics. I'm actively looking for a new position, so if you're interested, drop me a line!
- Data Visualization: Interactive data graphics in SVG/Canvas using D3, Flot, Protovis, Processing; custom chart scripts for proprietary Image Server in C# and JScript.
- Software: Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash), MS Word/Excel, 3D CAD (Rhinoceros, Google SketchUp), Music software (Audacity, Max/MSP, ProTools, Reason).
- OS: Windows, OS X, Linux, experience with UNIX command line.
- Reference contact info available upon request
Turntable — Web Developer/Front-end Architect (2011–July 2013)
- Small music web app startup in NYC.
- Architected and led development of front end for Piki.fm, using jQuery, Backbone and Underscore libraries.
- Contributed to unit-tested backend code written in Python interfacing a MongoDB database.
- Developed an internal metrics dashboard and custom data graphic (using D3.js) visualizing network effect of songs played and replayed on Turntable.fm.
Markit on Demand — Web Developer/Image Engineer (2009–2011) - Boulder, Colorado.
- Developed chart scripts in C# to generate live visualizations and graphics of live market data
- Contributed to several code libraries shared company-wide
- References: Andrew Harrington, lead developer, Image Engineering team.
Bright Bright Great — Web Developer (2008–2010) - Chicago, Illinois.
- Transformed designed PSD's into static and dynamic/CMS-driven sites for BBG clients.
- References: Jason Schwartz, president.
Norvax, Inc. — Web Developer, Marketing Dept. (Summer 2008) – Chicago, Illinois
- Inc. 500 company, one of top 10 fastest growing software companies, 2007. Providers of health insurance sales technology tools.
- Oversaw XHTML/CSS portion of corporate site redesign.
- Coded and managed e-mail marketing campaigns.
- Wrote custom JSP scripts to automate repetitive server operations
- References: Jeremiah Desmarais, vice president of marketing; Melanie Singleton, marketing campaign manager.
Blue Tent Marketing — Web Developer (2004-2007) - Basalt & Boulder, Colorado.
- Graphic and web design (Photoshop, HTML w/ CSS layouts).
- Transforming existing static sites to database/CMS-driven dynamic sites.
- Implementing search engine optimization strategies (tagging, 301 redirects, etc).
- General site management services as requested by clients.
- Design review meetings, teleconferences, and other client communications.
- References: Seth Brown, project manager; Peter Scott, president.
- Computers 4 Kids Foundation — PC Repair Technician (2002-2004) - Carbondale, Colorado.
- Refurbished, repaired and reimaged donated PC's for redistribution to local schoolchildren.
- Installed computers in recipient homes and provided technical support to recipients.
- Reference: Peter Scott, former student/volunteer coordinator.
- University of Colorado at Boulder, BS in Computer Science (3.6 GPA), Class of 2009.
- Awards & Honors:
- Boettcher Scholarship — Most prestigious merit-based scholarship available to graduating high school seniors in the state of Colorado, 40 awarded statewide annually. Offers eight semesters full tuition, books and fees at any of Colorado's four-year universities or colleges.
- SURE Program — offers select admitted undergraduate students a stipend for conducting research or creative work with a member of the University of Colorado faculty before beginning their first year of classroom studies.
- Dean's List - 5 of 6 semesters at CU Engineering School
- Related Coursework:
- Senior Project — Developing supervised-learning blog categorization algorithm and web application for Lijit Networks, a startup in Boulder.
- Digital and Social Systems — Research project & presentation on the state of the collaborative semantic web.
- User Interface Design — UI for "Phonomicon" project, application studying child language development through phonological analysis. Final project report (2.5MB PDF), application (1.5MB .JAR).
- CS Independent Study — Developed a tangible multitouch interface (similar to Microsoft Surface), built on the Reactivision framework. Project grant proposal (263KB PDF).
- Computing Theory — Research in computation, information and complexity theory. Final paper (134KB PDF) on P vs. NP problems.
- Other interests: Data journalism, alternative user interfaces, electronic music, slam poetry, robotics.
- Attended Seed Conference on Design, Entrepreneurship and Inspiration (June 6, 2008).
- Involved in New York startup and new media community.